Sunday, January 7, 2018

REVIEW: Maya Chia Super Blend - Pressed Serum Brightening Moisture Concentrate



Maya Chia Super Blend...oh boy, do I have a story to tell!

Those of you who follow me on Instagram (@skinsleuth) must be wondering why I've never posted about the Maya Chia Super Blend pressed serum/balm before. I mean I purchased it back in April 2017 and yet not a single post about it? Well, let me tell you right away, the story is a bit complicated. Here's how it began:
  • I was searching high and low for a serum containing astaxanthin, because of its high antioxidant properties, a serum that I could apply before my sunscreen to boost its sun protective powers. I had already burnt my hands (figuratively) trying Sidmool's (a Korean Beauty brand) astaxanthin serum, which in my opinion was just orange-coloured water. Anyway, back in April 2017, Maya Chia was probably the only brand offering a product with astaxanthin. Since then, I've seen Mahalo re-formulating its popular Vitality Elixir by adding in astaxanthin. Natural astaxanthin (a key ingredient in the Super Blend), enhances the antioxidant actions of vitamin C and E, and is known to be 65X stronger than Vitamin C in combating free radicals.
  • I read and re-read a lot about this pressed serum from reviews to interviews with Maya Chia owner, Susanne, all sounding quite favourable. Okay, at this point, if you're wondering if this story has a bad ending, it doesn't. So rest assured, humour me, will you? 😜
  • The Super Blend seemed like the right choice for me, with its power-packed blend of "natural astaxanthin (one of nature’s most potent antioxidants), supercritical chia (one of nature’s most energy-dense superfoods), shelf stable vitamin C ester, coenzyme Q10, powerful active botanicals, and the most innovative natural anti-aging ingredients"? So, I bought it!

  • When I say this 50 ml jar of shimmering golden balm is like a pot of sunshine, I'm not kidding you. It smells of the finest quality of jasmine enveloped in other subtly fragranced botanicals. At the time, I had an angry allergy spot developing on my chest, which a very popular anti-inflammatory balm could not cure, much to my disappointment. So, I turned to the Super Blend. One-two dabs massaged in and the spot was almost gone overnight. Very few products can boast of such reparative qualities. That was my first tryst with the product's superlative powers.
  • So, as intended, I started applying it underneath my sunscreen in the AM. Sadly, it applied a bit oily. It could be that this was the peak of summer (the month of May) and Mumbai is known for its harsh scorching summers laced with high humidity. An oily layer of Super Blend and a sunscreen cream to top it made my face an unpleasant mess.
  • Somehow, I couldn't see this product working for the primary reason I bought it for. I was stumped. Applying it at night seemed like a better prospect but I couldn't keep up with the habit. So, the pot of sunshine was relegated to the back of my skincare shelf for the next few months, portending gloomy days ahead.
  • I would often open the jar and breathe deeply the gorgeous scent of the balm but I was too afraid to give it another try, except in the PM. Until...the arrival of Earthwise Beauty Farizad's Veil, the perfect companion for the Super Blend. When Ava (founder of Earthwise Beauty) announced that she was working on a balm that in addition to its acne-reducing and healing properties would also work well as a companion for Farizad's Veil, the penny dropped for me. I immediately pulled out my jar of the Super Blend and mixed a sprinkling of Farizad's Veil into a pearl-sized drop of the balm. Voila! It worked. The balm turned the mixture into a smooth cream, which applied beautifully to the face. At first, the look is still oily but you need to give it a few moments for the mixture to settle in. And after that, the look is that of 'velvet matte'.
Now, I know I can alternate my Earthwise Beauty Ruby Facial Oil with the Super Blend and take advantage of the ultimate antioxidant, astaxanthin, along with Vitamin C, CoQ10 and more. As intended! 😃 The balm packs in serious glow and as mentioned before, it aids the repair of skin in the most pleasurable manner. I'm now confident that I can use this super-balm any season of the year, when paired with my trusty Farizad's Veil sunscreen powder.

If you have stuck with me this far, thank you. And take this as a cue to snag the Super Blend, which is included in the January 2018 Beauty Heroes beauty box, while it's still available. Go for it! You won't be disappointed.

3 comments:

  1. Wow, thanks for this review of the Maya Chia super blend, and the mention of Farizad's veil! I had never heard of the Veil before, but it sounds like an incredible product that I think I should be able to mix in with a variety of skincare to make a 'custom' SPF! Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kathryn Jones, UAE based company offers extravagant hyaluronic acid serum to suit all ages' skin and bring out the refreshing glowing skin and revitalizing skin to achieve an even complexion. Our range of home blended serums will do wonders for hypersensitive skin to extremely dry skin, helping your skin to enliven in stressed and dull life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your skin deserves a routine as unique as you are. That’s why we’re always chatting with skin care experts and looking into the latest products, treatments and tips to help you create your perfect skin care product in UAE.

    ReplyDelete