Wednesday, September 26, 2018

Earthwise Beauty Haul - Part I (Skincare featuring Marshmallow Face Cleanser, Cistus and Moonlight Face Mist and Yasuni Face Balm)





I’ve been meaning to write about my Earthwise Beauty haul for quite some time, but did not get around to it until now. Well, better late than never! I should have known that this post would be a long one. Hence, I have segregated it into two parts. The following is Part 1 focusing on the skincare items of this haul. Stay tuned for Part 2, which will focus on the Dandelion Tea and Essences.

BRAND NEW PACKAGING
First off, the Miron glass and the coppery, rose-gold labels in a quirky, fairy-ish font! Ava has retained the mystical quality of her brand through these new labels. And she could not have done a better job than this! While many, including myself, are wistful about the older packaging, I applaud Ava for changing with the times and doing what’s right for her brand. Without the Miron glass packaging, her products would not have made it to brick-and-mortar stores in all their freshness and potency, which is one of the most unique differentiators between Earthwise Beauty and many other brands. Honestly, no other brand that I have tried so far has come close to Earthwise Beauty in terms of freshness. And as far as brick-and-mortar stores go, Earthwise Beauty products have just recently made their debut in one such beautifully curated boutique. So, kudos, Ava! The efforts are paying off.


 
MARSHMALLOW FACE CLEANSER
Next up, the Marshmallow Face Cleanser, previously called Marshmallow Suds. This is such a beautiful cleanser. It is no-fuss with minimal but effective ingredients and super hydrating. It lathers just about enough, which is perfect for me. It’s almost like a Goldilocks situation—too much lather strips my skin, and too less does not feel like it’s working. The Marshmallow Cleanser has hit the right spot for me. The cleanser composition has been tweaked recently, with one or two ingredients switched out or replaced, and I can say that this has definitely improved its scent. The sample I had of the previous formulation did not smell as pleasant as this new one does. It does not smell like a valley of flowers in case you’re wondering but that’s what I like about it. It has an earthy, herbaceous scent with just a tinge of floral.

I use this cleanser twice every day, without fail. I should get a back-up because I cannot do without it. I will either use it as my solo cleanser in the AM or as my second cleanser in the PM. But here’s a novel way to use this cleanser. You know how I like to experiment with my products, either making concoctions or using them differently. So, here’s what I like to do with the Marshmallow Cleanser. As part of my recent experiment to pare down my skincare routine/stash in an effort to be more minimalistic, I'm trying to eliminate the toner step and use this instead. I have been massaging this cleanser on damp skin (after I’m done with my first cleanse typically with an oil or balm) and then wiping it all off with half a cotton pad (half because I’m trying not to generate too much waste). You’d be surprised by the residue on the pad even after doing a first cleanse. I like to do this because I live in a highly polluted city so I’m never satisfied with a single cleanse especially in the PM. If you have this cleanser, try using it this way and let me know how it goes!


CISTUS AND MOONLIGHT FACE MIST
My ultimate hydrating mist ever! I love this to bits and I must thank Andie of @andiethegreenqueen for introducing this to me. The way she had described its scent, I was sold! And I have been a fan ever since. Many mists in the green beauty market are too hydrating for me, sometimes leaving a thin film or an oily look behind. But not this! This absorbs so quickly (it is mostly cistus hydrosol and aloe vera juice and just a tinge of cistus essential oil) thus leaving behind a velvety matte feel. For an oily-combination skin like mine, that’s very important. I will forever have this baby in my stash.

I have reviewed this on my blog previously (click here and here to read) but I reiterate here that this mist is more than a mist to me. I feel calm and composed and ready to face the day when I use this in the mornings. Likewise, in the PM, I feel grounded when I apply this after cleansing. The gem and flower essences used in this mist must definitely be working on me, which is why I feel calm, composed and grounded.
When using this from a spray bottle, I had realised that so much product was getting wasted due to spritzing. And since I did not want to waste even a millilitre of this, I requested Ava to provide me a pump so that I could pump this into my palm and pat it into my skin like a Korean essence. I was right! I love using it this way and no wastage of product whatsoever. I even take any leftover product up to my hairline. It helps to smooth any flyaways! One product and so many ways to use it!
I still have the bottle from the older packaging so if I’m ever in the mood to also use this as a spritz, I know I can. Plus, I love the older packaging so much, I just don’t have the heart to throw it out.


YASUNI FACE BALM
I never thought I would like any other balm except Tigress Face Balm, even if Ava herself came up with one. But I can see why Yasuni Face Balm is such a winner. For the record, I still prefer Tigress but what sets Yasuni apart from many balms on the market is that it’s a treatment balm. I think Ava should have put the words ‘Treatment Balm’ on the label itself, because this does not simply hydrate or lock in moisture. This treats and exfoliates the skin the way many high-end serums do thanks to its enzymatic action. And unlike high-end treatment products that sting the skin, this does none of that. I see every skin type and condition benefitting from using the Yasuni Balm. I saw my clogged pores getting cleaned up by the day, which is not an easy feat. 
When Ava, in one of her Instagram posts, said that one can use this balm as a moisturiser, I was excited. But when I saw the texture of this balm, it appeared like a solid balm (it’s not as juicy as Tigress) and I was confused how this can be used as a moisturiser. After a few seconds of head-scratching, it occurred to me that maybe I need to warm it in the palm of my hands. And so, I did. The balm melts into a light to medium-weight oil due to the heat of your touch and can then be used as a moisturiser. I still prefer to mix a drop of Ferns and Moss into this for reparative effect or a smidgen of Tigress and Farizad’s Veil to make a skincare-sunscreen-treatment product.
I love that it is formulated without essential oils so that makes it apt for sensitive-skin folks. I will admit though that I’m not a fan of its scent, as it reminds me of bitter medicine but when you think of it, that is precisely how it acts on your skin. It’s medicine! I already think of Ava as a medicine woman, and this reaffirms my thinking.

So, that’s it folks! As usual, I have rambled on and on but I can’t help it. When I love something this much, I have to share my thoughts with you, skinsleuth style!
Stay tuned for Part II of my Earthwise Beauty haul. Have a lovely week ahead.

No comments:

Post a Comment